
Levi started eating "real food" a few weeks ago and I, deciding to be ambitious, have been making all of his baby food (except the rice cereal). So here's my dilemma: part of the process of making his food is freezing cubes of it in ice cube trays. I bought these cool ice cube trays at Ikea and they are perfect--just the right size and they are flexible so I can push the cubes out really easily.
Here's the catch: the other day as I was making his "food cubes", I realized that in small letters on the ice cube trays is written "for water only". So, I'm asking you, any idea why it might say that? The ice cube trays are made from synthetic rubber, which as I've looked on the internet, seems to be safe for food. Other ice cube trays of this sort from other companies don't have the same warning. Seems to me that if it's safe to use them for water, it should be safe to use them for food. And yet, the warning...
What do you think: should I stop using them?
This is the Ikea link for the trays: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00099888

















































4 comments:
I think that Ikea had to put the warning on the trays because of someone tried to freeze acid in the cube trays.
That's my theory. But I would still look into it.
Hey Tamara, I just found your blog on the Larson's website, I'm happy to hear from you. My assumption regarding the ice cube trays: You can buy silicon baking trays, that have obviously bigger figures, but look just the same. This might be just a hint that these onces are not for baking, only for freezing. Much love, Agi Armour
Hey Tamara, I would agree with Agi. I think that you are ok using it with food.
Love you friend. Thanks for the comment on facebook. I miss you too!
I have always done tablespoon-sized "blobs" of food on a cookie sheet or flat pan, stick it in the freezer. Then, when they are frozen you may remove them from the sheet and put the "blobs" of food either in a plastic bag or a container. Then, remove one blob, put it in a glass bowl and microwave it. It has always worked for me pretty well with the babies.
Love, Elysia
Post a Comment